Thursday, October 4, 2007

My Love of the Tropics


When I was 13 years old, my parents decided to take us all on a fabulous vacation to Nassau in the Bahamas. Of course my sister and I had never even heard of the place, but when our parents started bringing home shiny brochures of cruise ships and beautiful islands with palm trees, we started getting excited reeeaaaaal fast!

The big day came to depart. It was June of 1961 and all five kids plus two parents and grandma piled into our unairconditioned station wagon and headed off to Miami where we boarded a big, beautiful cruise ship to Nassau!

We were there for three weeks and had a fabulous time. We drank fresh limeade at every meal, made from limes in the grove behind out house. My mother made a fresh cocoanut cake from the cocoanut palms growing in our yard. It felt like Paradise!!

From then on, I have loved the tropics and everything associated with them. I have my own steel drums and play them when I need to feel a warm tropical breeze. How about you? What is your favorite destination?

No comments: